How To Evangelise To Atheists
How to Evangelise to Atheists written by Manashantii an ex- Atheist, ex-Humanist and ex Buddhist. 22nd May 2013
I am writing this article as an ex-Atheist (and ex-Humanist) who explored many other religions but was predominantly Theravada and Dogen Zen Buddhist. Feel free to email me any questions. My email address is email@example.com. You can read “my testimony of how I became a Christian“ on this website if you wish.
Atheists are usually in touch with the material world and the world’s knowledge and intellectualism. Atheists can be very detached from the supernatural in a spiritual sense and in a theoretical sense. Atheists are faithless and spiritually alienated from God. This may make the atheist appear as having a rebellious nature or angry and or disappointed at the world and even God…
Zechariah 4v6 K.J.V. says “Then he answered and spake unto me, saying This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power but by my Spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.” This verse means that it is only the Holy Spirit who can makes a person become Christian.
There were many times that I wished that I was Christian, I was aware of how some Christians seemed happy and genuine, but most Christians that I met were sinful hypocrites. I didn’t understand anything about Christianity until I became a Pentecostal Christian.
If you are Christian and Evangelise, I suggest that you remember that there is a part in our soul that is made for us to be filled by God and this part can only be filled by God. There is a part of God that only you can fill. When I was an Atheist and when I practiced other religions this part of me was empty and I felt incomplete and sad. At other times I felt incredibly lost and unfulfilled. Although I had a busy life and friends, life felt pointless. I believe that Atheists are yearning to be filled but are suffering and in turmoil due to whatever they may believe. I believe that Atheism is a spirit of unbelief that keeps the person enslaved.
When I was an atheist, I was angry that there was so much suffering in the world and I believed that there couldn’t be a good God because the world was imperfect and full of sin. I also believed that if there is a God, then who created God? I didn’t understand the law of thermodynamics which is that energy can’t be created or destroyed, and that the ruler of this world at the moment is the devil, and that we have been separated from God due to the sin of Adam and Eve in the Bible. God is eternal and does not need a creator. The universe is not eternal and requires a Creator.
Be gentle and listen to what he or she (the Atheist or non-Christian) has to say and in turn ask them to listen to your point of view also. Remember that the non-believer is suffering in spiritual turmoil so please have extra empathy for him or her.
Let us explore mathematical chances and mathematical coincidence. If there is no God, there would be maybe one life form that exists or existed and it would be just the once, I consider that as an accident. Currently there are seven billion people on the planet and 8.7 million species. This is one of many reasons why I believe that it is not possible for an accidental existence to happen seven billion times in our time, and what about the people that have existed for the at least six thousand years before? What about all the animals and various plants that exists and existed? Existence is not by accident.
If we are just advanced apes as evolution states and black people are are a more primitive version of the human race, then why is it that black people are just as intelligent as any other race? Why is it that black people (North East Asian and South East Asian people) usually have very little body hair (glabrousness) and look nothing like apes? Apes have straight hair, black people have afro hair or tightly curled hair, so if black people come from apes, why don’t apes have afro hair? In fact why do apes still exist if we have superseded primates?
Our complicated bodies, must have an intelligent designer.
Most Atheists and Non-Christians are aware of the problems of the world and believe that the solution is politics. When I was Buddhist I believed that a permanent change in the nature of Mankind’s personality would be the solution for world peace. Our attitude and nature do need to be changed, however without God’s action this problem can never be indefinitely resolved. If Politics did solve this world’s problems, what about when you die? When you die what will happen to your soul? Without God we are eternally damned.
You can also quote Bible verses that tells us about science before scientists confirmed it to be true. Remember the Old Testament of The Holy Bible is much more than 3,000 years old. Here are some examples.
1.Creation is made up of invisible elements = Hebrews 11 v3
2. The Earth is a sphere = Isaiah 40 v22
3.The Earth floats freely in space =Job 26 v7
4. There are innumerable stars = Hebrews 11v12, Genesis 15v5, Genesis 22v17, Jeremiah 33v22
5. Each star is different and unique = 1 Corinthians 15 v41
6. Stars follow a predictable pattern = Jeremiah 31v35
7. Light moves = Job 38 v19- v20
8.The ocean floor contains deep valleys and mountains = 2 Samuel 22 v16 & Jonah 2v6
9. The ocean contains springs = Job 38v16
10. Blood is the source of life and health = Leviticus 17 v11
11. Wind blows in cyclones = Ecclesiastes 1v6
12. Air has weight = Job 28 v25
13. Water cycle = Ecclesiastes 1v7, Isaiah 55v10
14. Sea currents = Psalm 8v8
15. God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent. = Isaiah 46v10 “Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:”
16. Washing your clothes and bathe and wash then you will become clean. (hygeine) = Leviticus 17 v15-16
I can’t recollect where I got the information about science in the Bible from, but it was from a book.
Question: If Adam and Eve story is true, how did the world become populated? Answer: The Holy Bible does not explain creation story in a detailed and scientific way, The Holy Bible helps us to communicate with God in His Holy Spirit, with your Spirit. You must learn to understand the Bible in the Spirit.
I believe that there are five ways in which a person can change from atheism to Christian and they are :-
1.The person has a miraculous experience.
2. The person’s faith in God grows.
3. The person’s belief in The Holy Bible alone and in Jesus as part of The Holy Trinity . (Not Muslim, Mormon, Catholic, Orthodox or Coptic). Jehovah’s Witness (J.W.), Seventh Day Adventist (S.D.A.), Christadelphian, and Jesus Christians are all Christian cults.) Before you commit to any Church research and make sure that it is not a cult. Ask people who don’t attend that church and research on the internet, before you commit to the church. Also I would encourage you to pray about it and seek guidance from the Holy Spirit. I recommend any church that is Charismatic, Holy Bible centred by this I mean that they study the Holy Bible, believe and practice full immersion baptism, and Evangelise. I believe Pentecostal / Charismatic is the best church because they do what the Holy Bible says and encourages development of faith and to fight spiritually using Spiritual Warfare, also they practice being Holy Spirit led.
4. The person’s Spiritual Knowledge grows.
5. The person one day is able to listen and becomes filled with the truth.
(My grandmother told me as a child, I had an experience and one day I too listened! Hallelujah.)
If you are an atheist or new believer in Christ Jesus ask a Christian (or someone who is not into the “prosperity gospel” and or “the word of faith movement”) to pray with you. I recommend maybe a Baptist, Evangelical, Non-Denominational or Methodist person or pastor to pray with you.
Pray for the person whose faith in God is limited at this moment, pray that their Spiritual eyes will be opened and that they emotionally change to love God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Your emotions are linked to your soul. Pray that the soul comes into Spiritual maturity and in union with God’ s Spirit. Reading the Holy Bible and praying is a way of communicating and breathing with God in the Spirit, Christianity is about returning to be in the Spirit realm with God and this is achieved through faith in the Holy Spirit, God and Jesus Christ and by understanding, praying, reading and or hearing the Holy Bible.
creation.com is a good website for information and resource on this subject and other things.
Romans 10v17 So faith comes from hearing that is,hearing the Good News about Christ. New Living Translation.
1 Corinthians 1v18 The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God. New Living Translation.
1 Corinthians 2v14 But people who aren’t Spiritual (or don’t have the Spirit) can’t receive the truths from God’s Spirit it all sounds foolish to them and they can’t understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what Spirit means. New Living Translation.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, you can contact me through the “about me and contact” page on this website.
Written by Manashantii